Thursday, December 16, 2010

Details

I have so much to share and no idea where to begin! I think I'll just give you a run down of what I've been up to in a bulleted list format. Additionally, I've included some pictures from around town. I'm not sure of the names of the streets, mountains, streams, shops, etc. just yet, but I'll know one day soon! I'm still pretty lost here. Eventually I'll get my bearings but until then I'm walking around with a map looking like a tourist!

  • My roommate's name is Gina. She's from Michigan and has been here since August. I lucked up and have one of the biggest rooms in the complex. The bed is much more comfortable than I thought it would be,  I don't have much storage space but it's adequate for the things I have with me. The room is warm (I have my own heater to regulate that) and there are two large windows that look out to a nearby mountain. I've been opening the window in the afternoon to let in the fresh air. It's SO nice!
  • My first night in town I went to dinner at a very traditional restaurant in Partenkirchen. The town where I live is like a mini, German version of Minneapolis/St. Paul in that it is a twin city.  It is called Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I live in Garmisch but you can't tell where it ends and Partenkirchen begins. Anyway, the restaurant was in Partenkirchen and it was my first trip there.  I ordered sausage and pretzels for dinner - why not? I'm in Germany!- and had a very large beer (Documented in the image below). It was different from, but comparable to, a Yengling (kinda, not at all really... eh?). Everything was great & it was a lovely first night. I went to bed at 11:30pm after having been up for 45 hours. I refuse to succumb to jet-lag! 
  • I was issued my Post office box - SEND ME MAIL!!!
  • I was issued my uniform and told my work assignment. I will be working in Market Station, a restaurant in the resort, as a waitress. The place is buffet style so - I'm not terribly certain what a waitress at a buffet does. We'll see. The work isn't ideal but that's the bargaining chip in this whole deal. I am getting my foot in the door with Uncle Sam, living in the heart of Europe, having ample opportunity for travel and personal growth ... so I'll deal :)
  • I was issued my Department of Defense ID - this process took quite a while but now I can go on any base in the world and have access to all kinds of benefits like the gym, library, PX, Post office, Commissary... If I travel, to say Italy, I can stay on a US base there and use their facilities too. This is definitely going to prove useful! 
  • I did some shopping at the PX & Commissary - I now have plenty of pillows, a hairdryer, food and a Brita filter - the water here is not so great.
  • I signed up to do some volunteer work and it looks like I'm going to be coaching cheerleading for the 8-13 year old American kids who's parents are stationed here. It's not exactly what I was looking to do as far as volunteer work is concerned, but it should be very fun! Maybe when I learn more German I can get involved with some off base community programs. 
  • I attempted to go skiing but ran out of time today. It costs $10 to rent all of your ski gear (including bibs and a coat if you need). There is a hill behind the lodge that is free. It's an easy blue, if that, but it's free and it has a lift. I plan to spend some afternoons learning to snowboard there.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to unlock my iPhone so that I can move it over to the German T-Mobile network. I have an iPhone 3Gs that is running on version 4.2.1 - If you are tech savvy and want to give me a hand here, I would greatly appreciate it! I already "jailbroke" the phone but now need to find a way to actually unlock it. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web about this process. I'd rather not hose the thing!

Ok, I think that's about enough - let me know what information I've left out that you need to know!

1 comment:

  1. Is that Gina with a long i as in...the name's Gina?

    Oh and I can't believe ski equipment costs only $10 to rent. I fully expect you to be a pro by the time I get there.

    ReplyDelete