Monday, December 20, 2010

A Journey to Narnia, er... Munich!

Yesterday morning I woke up early and walked down the hall to go check the community information board to find out when and were church services would be held. As I was staring at the board, Renee, a new friend of mine, walked passed. She said she would be going to the 11:00am protestant service at the Army Chapel. I invited myself along.

Renee was getting a ride to church with her friend, Jennifer, and I was able to join them! The service was nice - it was non-denominational but it might as well have been Methodist (it was very similar). They close every service at the Army chapel with a benediction sung to the tune of Edelweiss from "The Sound of Music". Um, yeah - I think I may have found my place on the first shot!

After church there is a free meal - this week it was Subway sandwiches! At lunch I learned that Renee and Jennifer were going to be driving to Munich to go see a movie at the English language cinema. They had reserved tickets so, I couldn't go. I decided I wanted to just ride along with them and that I would explore Munich while they were in the movie. Two other girls, Vandi & Jenna, went with us as well. When we got to Munich, Jennifer and I went to park the car while the others went in to pick up the movie tickets. They ended up getting one for me too so I went to see the new Chronicles of Narnia movie in 3D. I haven't seen the first two Narnia films so it was a bit confusing, but it was enjoyable none the less.

I enjoyed seeing all of the commercials/previews before the movie.  Many of them are the same as they are in the US but with German actors. For Example, the Windows commercial for their "Cloud" software/functionality where there is a family trying to take a picture and they can't get it right. Then, the mother says "To the cloud" and goes and edits the picture. Yeah, they had the same thing, same set, everything accept the family is more European looking and they speak German.

After the movie, we walked about half a mile to a Medieval Christmas Market. Bavaria (southern Germany) is famous for its Christmas Markets. They are outdoors and have lots of little stalls where merchants set up shops with gift items, food, crafts, and Gluhwein. Gluhwein, or Mulled Wine, is basically hot wine. I tried it - it was really sweet and not very good, in my opinion. Some people love it, others not so much. It's as traditional as hot chocolate here though - a winter must! This Medieval market was very interesting. Merchants were selling bows and arrows, instruments from the middle ages, lots of leather goods and furs... you know, medieval stuff.  Christmas markets are usually "modern" and sell hats & scarves, ornaments, artwork, jewelry and other normal things. It was a very interesting experience at the Medieval market - it was packed with people and we got to see a fire spitting contest and a mini parade with Medieval street dancers.  After about an hour at the market, we headed back to Garmisch via the autobahn.

See the Images below of us at the The Propylaea gate in Munich and then at the Medieval Christmas Market. It was dark so you can't see much but I tried to capture it!



1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are having a great time so far!!! I know your family will miss you this Christmas, but they have got to be so thrilled that you have this opportunity!! Keep posting lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete